Friday, February 1, 2013

A House Divided

A House Divided

The scribes who had come from Jerusalem said of Jesus,
“He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and
“By the prince of demons he drives out demons.”

Summoning them, he began to speak to them in parables,
“How can Satan drive out Satan?
If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
And if a house is divided against itself,
that house will not be able to stand.
And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided,
he cannot stand;
that is the end of him.”
  



How important is reconciliation? The two becoming one… Our God loves to unite.

How does one begin to tend to wounds that are festering? Sometimes life is so overwhelming we look at a problem and it seems impossible.

One of my most memorable moments in my time in the monastery is when I was learning how to play the piano and the time spent with my piano teacher. I started off with difficult pieces, (Rag Time music by Scott Joplin) and I remember being so frustrated with myself. He would tell me, “Yes, it is frustrating and difficult. Now how are we going to tackle this?”

After much time, patience and effort I was able to play at least part of the songs pretty well for a beginner.  The healing that God offers can instantaneous and miraculous AND it can be over time like a bone repairing itself. Our wounds and our divided homes can be healed by actively participating in the healing God is offering us in Christ Jesus. Us participating in our healing can look like not feeding ourselves poison, participating in healing and rejuvenating activities and relationships such as prayer and the most basic one that people do not realizes is rest. We have to give ourselves permission to rest and say “The world is still moving around whether I finish this task or not. I need to rest and if I don’t I am allowing destruction to come to the Temple of the Holy Spirit.”

Sometime I like to switch around the words of the Gospel from a negative to a positive (old social work habit lol)

“If a Kingdom is united, the Kingdom cannot fall. If a House is united, that House cannot fall. And if God has brought all people to himself and they are united; they will not fall; that is the beginning of true joy.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment