Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Woe to you!

+AMDG+

This has nothing to do with the reading I just thought it was funny.

Here is the reading for today.

Then one of the scholars of the law said to him in reply,
“Teacher, by saying this you are insulting us too.”
And he said, “Woe also to you scholars of the law!
You impose on people burdens hard to carry,
but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them.”

Jesus does not pull punches. How many times throughout my day to I do this to people? Sure in this context Jesus is referring to people who knew the Law of Moses or the Torah, and they were experts in that. They knew it so well that few people would question their interpretation except other scholars. They were the experts.

Many times I feel that way. That I am the expert, that I know best. So when I see someone doing something different than the way I would do it, I judge them. Sometimes I would even say, "Why are you doing that? You should do it like this." Its even worse when pride sets in because you might have received training or education in something and you do not help others learn. You just tell them what to do.

"Well when I was at (insert fancy name here) you know we did it like this."

"No, you can do it like that if you want, but I wouldn't."

"I don't know what's wrong with them, they should just do it like this."

"I don't know why that homeless person doesn't just try to find a job already."

"I just don't get my (insert family member here) why do they keep doing that?"

"I don't know why that priest can't just say the mass like this already, its not that difficult."

"Why is the President doing that?! He should be focusing on this instead, then everything would be much better."

Not once do we lift a hand to help. All of this complaining or casting judgments aren't help anyone. If we imagine all this negative "criticism" as actual baggage we have placed on people, how much have we put on them? How much more difficult have we made life for other people to live? Think of all the dirty looks, the teeth sucking, the insults, the name calling, the grumbling and mumbling under our breath ALL because WE are the expert. Because we know best.

Then one of the people who knew best, said to him in reply,
“Teacher, by saying this you are insulting us too.”
And he said, “Woe also to you 'experts'!
You impose on people burdens hard to carry,
but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them.”

It is almost like sin has wired us to be negative and despairing. All because WE now have the knowledge of good and evil, of right and wrong, of what is best to do and what others shouldn't do. Try to be a life affirming and life giving person today (you might have to go to confession and mass first) and do it when it is difficult like on the train, with coworkers, with your family, by calling the friend who always pushes your buttons, then you can see how much of an expert we think we truly are.

"Why does he have to stand in front of the subway door like that? Why won't he just..."

Woe to you so called "expert!"

Pray well!

No comments:

Post a Comment