Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Offer is Still on the Table

+AMDG+


Then Jesus questioned the boy's father,
“How long has this been happening to him?” 
The father replied, “Since childhood.
It has often thrown him into fire and into water to kill him.
But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”
Jesus said to him,
“‘If you can!’ Everything is possible to one who has faith.”
Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief!”
Jesus, on seeing a crowd rapidly gathering,
rebuked the unclean spirit and said to it,
“Mute and deaf spirit, I command you:
come out of him and never enter him again!”
Shouting and throwing the boy into convulsions, it came out.
He became like a corpse, which caused many to say, “He is dead!”
But Jesus took him by the hand, raised him, and he stood up.

-Mark 9:21-27

Could you imagine Jesus wants to do this to you? I don't know, I hear a lot about these "miracles" in the "Gospels" and I just "start" to needlessly use "air quotes" and it creates doubt in your mind. Seriously though the Gospels are filled miracles and let's say if you or I really believed in the miracles. I mean like really believed. Not in exaggerations or dumbing them down but just took them as face value. That this powerful human being Jesus, who healed and raised the dead, is offering us the same exact relationship to those healed back then. It is a scary thought.  It takes a while to grasp that because we have to think of the consequences of such a belief.

What does it mean for me to healed? What does it mean that Jesus wants to heal a part of you like your wounded self-esteem, or your self-destructive tendency? And even more importantly he wants to tell that part of you, "I command you: come out of him and never enter him again." That is a powerful person who if offering you something really incredible! And why don't we accept this again?

No comments:

Post a Comment